Skintones are one of the hardest things to recolour, with many textures and requiring a lot of time and effort to do anything but recolouring an existing skintone. If you want to photoskin a skintone or create a celebrity face, the technique in How to make a sim's face using source pics explains how to pull apart a texture to apply pieces of it to a face. The exact same technique is used over and over on the whole body to create a photoskinned skintone.
What you will need
- Making a New Skintone - Explains how skintones differ from other Body Shop projects, what all the images are for, and includes a lot of tips on working on skintones. Doesn't cover specific editing techniques, but that's more a matter of skills you'll have learned before you get to skintones.
General Tips and Tricks
- There's also some tips on creating new skin textures, and painting skins in this thread on MTS2.
- You may find it helpful in fixing seams and the like to use the UV map for the body. The UV maps for all ages and both genders, including faces, can be found attached at the bottom of the first post here: Skinning from the Inside Out
- Websites where you can get textures for skintones:
- 3d.sk - By far the best, this site offers thousands of high-resolution photos of all sorts of people, in various states of undress (so yes, there is non-sexual artistic nudity there, you are warned). You do have to pay for a membership, but the prices are incredibly reasonable, the service is great, and the quality and range of pics is just not available elsewhere at any price. If you're serious about creating an all-new photoskinned skintone, pick up a month or two of membership here.
- Skins.be - Celebrity and model wallpapers, mostly female. Can be useful here and there.
- Fashion Spot - This particular post on the Fashion Spot forums links lots of great, high-res pics of female model faces, with and without makeup. And in general, there are tons of pics threads on there, of specific models and celebrities, types of makeup, and just about anything you can imagine. It can be a lot of fun to explore.
- Backgrounds Archive - Check out the celebrities sections, male and female, and people. Lots of nice, big pics that may be useful in skinning.